Did you see the list of new words that will be added to Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary? A bunch of words and phrases we all use now, so what the heck, once a year Merriam-Webster makes it official.
After looking at the list and reviewing the meaning of the words, I could not help but wonder this — did they have the Boston Red Sox on the mind when they approved this list?
I’m serious. Check out some the new words….
TOXIC adj.: relating to or being an asset that has lost so much value that it cannot be sold on the market
SOX TRANSLATION: Beckett is so toxic we can’t give him away in a trade.
MAN CAVE n.: a room or space designed according to the taste of the man, to be used as his personal area for hobbies and leisure activities
SOX TRANSLATION: The clubhouse is our man cave. Welcome: chicken and beer. Unwelcome: snitches.
UNDERWATER adj.: having, relating to, or being a mortgage loan for which more is owed than the property securing the loan is worth
SOX TRANSLATION: We are so many games back in the standings it’s wait til-next-year time.
BUCKET LIST n.: A list of things that one has not done before but wants to do before dying
SOX TRANSLATION: There’s nothing worse than the Sox going nowhere as August turns to September. So get the yard work done now before the Patriots opener. This is often called the honey-do list here in Maine.
GEOCACHING n.: A game in which players are given the geographical coordinates of a cache of items which they search for with a GPS device
SOX TRANSLATION: A game for Sox starting pitchers, used mainly in the first inning of game. Try to find the strike zone and not put your team behind 2-0 before you get a chance to bat.
COPERNICIUM n.: A short-lived artificially produced radioactive element that has 112 protons
SOX TRANSLATION: I’m not exactly sure on this one…copernicium… I think it might be the definition of Bobby V.
AHA MOMENT n. : A moment of sudden realization, inspiration, insight, recognition, or comprehension
SOX TRANSLATION: The day back in April when Dustin Pedroia scolded new manager Bobby V after his Youkilis comments, “He’ll find out we don’t it that way around here.” Aha. The inmates are running the asylum.
GASTROPUB n. : A pub, bar, or tavern that also offers meals of high quality
SOX TRANSLATION: All of us in Red Sox Nation need to find the nearest one!
ITEMS FROM THE DUFFEL BAG:
– Anyone else notice the other night, after Josh Beckett got rocked again, the NESN post-game coverage took you inside the clubhouse to get reaction from Beckett. The graphic reads…presented by Captain Morgan!
– SLWS: Seeing the pure joy on the faces of the players and fans from Guatemala after winning the Senior League World Series was special. Somehow, I think even they were surprised to win it all. Think about this — there are only 4 Senior League teams in the entire country and just the one league, the one in Guatemala City.
– The parents of Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, David and Alba, have been named winners of the Little League “Parents of the Year” award.
– If the NHL does go into lockout mode next month (and I think it is quite possible), they are all crazy. Football will push the NHL labor squabble to the back of the mind of sports fans everywhere. Sit down and work it out guys.
– Interesting post Olympics note – take a guess where the London Games drew the largest/smallest TV audience in this country. Largest: Salt Lake City (25 rating), Smallest: Charlotte (13.9 rating). Go figure.
– And, the ongoing debate over live vs. tape-delay coverage of the Olympics because of time zones…the next Summer Games in Rio, just a one hour time difference.
– I can still picture Johnny Pesky, with fungo bat in hand, picking up pebbles and hitting them into the bushes near the first tee at PVCC years ago. Pesky came to Orono for the Bud and Barbara Leavitt Jimmy Fund tournament. He didn’t play golf. He was there to meet and greet…and swing that fungo…RIP Johnny.