I tried, folks!
I really did try to write about another topic. But, every time my fingers hit the keyboard my thoughts keep going back to “The World’s Largest Garage Sale.”
No, I’m not talking about the event WLBZ used to hold in the downtown Bangor parking garage. I was a part of that for a few years and it was big…but nowhere near as big as the 2012 Red Sox weekend garage sale.
$262 million dollars of Boston trash is now an LA treasure. Thank you, Los Angeles Dollars!
Everyone keeps using words like blockbuster, behemoth, mammoth, colossus. I use the simple word “needed.”
Something has gone terribly wrong on Yawkey Way.
You have to admit, the whole deal happened fast. It started with the news of Adrian Gonzalez claimed on waivers by the Dodgers. Less than 48 hours later Gonzo and his mates were… gonzo.
I still have nine unanswered questions about things…
1. The day of travel it took Josh Beckett to get from Boston to LA — does he consider that one of his 18 days off?
Remember earlier in the season when his back was too sore to make a start but then he was seen playing golf the next day, he said “hey, we only get 18 days off a year. I’ll do what I want on those days.” I hope Marco Scutaro takes him deep on the first pitch. (Scutaro now plays for Colorado and the Rockies are Beckett’s first opponent.)
2. Is it possible Adrian Gonzalez is the smartest and yet most knifing guy in baseball?
Think about this. A few years ago he’s playing for San Diego in the worst hitters park in baseball. He agrees to be traded from his hometown team and goes to a team that can afford a $154 million dollar contract. Then, complains about things, including too many Sunday night national TV games and clearly was in on the fire-the-manager-meeting in July.
Now he’s back playing on the West Coast. Just sayin.
3. How did Nick Punto get caught up in all this?
While it was crazy to give him a two-year deal to begin with, I’m going to miss “the shredder.” Just didn’t get a chance to shred enough uniforms after walkoff wins at Fenway. Will the Dodgers have enough money left to buy new uniforms if he shreds out there?
4. What do the Red Sox do about last week’s team picture?
It was just last week when Beckett and the boys posed in front of the green monster for the 2012 Boston Red Sox team photo. Hello photoshop department!
5. What is Theo thinking these days?
Isn’t this a complete in-your-face to the Theo Epstein moves of 2010? Remember, Theo lusted for Gonzo and Theo checked out Carl Crawford for months before signing him to that big deal.
6. Was the Johnny Pesky funeral the final straw?
Just thinking. Four players show up for the funeral. Wonder if Sox brass finally got ticked off enough to say “let’s blow this team up.”
7. Are the Red Sox for sale?
John Henry and the boys have two titles, a fixed-up Fenway and now a lean mean payroll. Time to cash in? Time to let someone else have the headaches?
8. How much of an impact did the recent poll of New England sports fans have on all of this?
The Patriots are the No. 1 team by double digits in the hearts and minds of New England sports fans. Sox ownership can read the tea leaves.
9. Taking on $262 million of payroll is one thing, but paying Manny Ramirez $8 million next year, are you crazy LA?
I’m not kidding. According the website “Cot’s Baseball Contracts,” the Dodgers are still paying deferred money to Manny: $8,333,333.00 this year and another $8,333,333.00 in 2013.
Manny — the smartest idiot to ever wear a uniform.
ITEMS FROM THE DUFFEL BAG:
– We know the Sox roster has been in flux all year because of injuries and trades,etc. How about what manager Arnier Beyeler has done with the Triple-A Pawsox. Sixty-six different players have either thrown a pitch or had an at-bat for him and with a week to go in the regular season the Pawsox still could make the playoffs. Should Beyeler, a former Sea Dogs manager, get some consideration for next Sox manager?
– So Mainer Steve Clifford didn’t get the Portland Trailblazers head coaching job. Consolation prize — he was hired to be an LA Lakers assistant coach.
– Some people say Roger Clemens is trying to work his way back to pitch in the majors so he can keep his name off a hall of fame ballot for five years. I say he’s trying to show people that even at age 50 he can get batters out…without steroids…just as he said he did years ago.
– ABC’s Live with Kelly and… Michael Strahan! Looks like the former NY Giant will be the replacement for Regis Philbin.
– ESPN will announce this week new plans for Monday Night Football opening theme music. Remember Hank Williams Jr was dumped last year because of politically charged comments.
Are you ready for some…..Gordon Lightfoot!