Some leftover thoughts while eating Thanksgiving leftovers…..
– Drumstick: Morehead State basketball coach Sean Woods. In this day and age of 24/7 sports coverage you can’t be pushing players. Just ask Bobby Knight. Woods is a former Kentucky star who played for Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith and Billy Donovan. It’s easy to see where he got his coaching style.
– Gravy: Penn State football players and new coach Bill O’Brien. They had nothing to do with the Sandusky scandal. Winning their last game in OT and finishing 8-4 seems only fair.
– Stuffing: The Patriots literally knocking the stuffing out of Rex Ryan and the NY Jets. Wasn’t that great!
– Green Beans: The amount of money Notre Dame football generates for the school – $68-million. Add in the BCS championship game big bucks and we’re talking a lot of green beans.
– Squash: I hate squash. I hate what the NHL owners and players are doing to their game. Get back to work and maybe, just maybe I’ll try squash again.
– Yams: I always have to look up and get the correct definition of yams (a versatile vegetable). With that in mind I think of Notre Dame linebacker Manti T’eo. Can the Patriots trade up to get him? Mayo and Manti in the middle. Think about it.
– Turkey: I’m thinking this Saturday’s Christmas at Fenway. Let’s see, so far Santa has brought Red Sox Nation David Ross and Jonny Gomes. Next gift – acquire a Furby?
– Cranberry Sauce: They say you need to boil the cranberries in sugar to get that sweet taste – kind of like watching Texas A&M quarterback Johnny “Football” Manziel. This kid is unbelievable.
– Pumpkin Pie: My favorite. The high school basketball season is just around the corner.
ITEMS FROM THE DUFFEL BAG:
– Notice BC and UNH are a combined 19-2-2. The rest of Hockey East is about .500 or below.
– NBC was supposed to broadcast the Bruins vs. the NY Rangers game last Friday afternoon. Instead the network ran a 1997 rerun of the soap opera “Days of Our Lives”. You can’t make this stuff up!
– Scal is great! I find former C’s Brian Scalabrine refreshing and honest in his analyst role on Comcast.
– I am not giving free agent catcher/first baseman Mike Napoli a 4-year deal. But will the Sox?
– Class C boys basketball teams should have a little extra incentive – one team from the East will play one from the West in the final tournament game ever at Bangor Auditorium on Saturday night, March 2nd.