There are four weeks left in the high school hoops regular season. If I had a wide open schedule and could take in any game I wanted to, here are the games I want to see, in no particular order….
– Schenck girls at Orono on Friday January 25th…They played four overtimes in East Millinocket before the Red Riots won in their first matchup.
– Hampden boys at Lawrence on Tuesday January 29th…Will it be #1 vs #2 in Class A when they meet at the dog pound?
– Hodgdon girls vs Washburn on…whoops, they don’t meet in the regular season…They are the only two undefeated teams left in Class D…wonder why they don’t play?
– Bangor boys at Hampden on Friday January 18th…The 11 point win for the Broncos on opening night is still their closest game to date…The Rams are playing better…but enough better?
– Dexter girls at Orono on Thursday February 7th…They are the top two teams in Class C right now…this last game of the season could be for first place.
– Presque Isle girls at MDI on Friday January 25th…The Trojans gave the Wildcats their best test yet (PI won by 9) when the played in the Star City before the holidays…what will happen when they meet in Bah Hahba?
– Houlton boys at Hodgdon on Saturday February 2nd…The Shires are unbeaten in “C” and the Hawks are among the best in “D”…Houlton won in overtime when they met the day after Christmas…Good luck getting a seat at the tiny Hodgdon gym for this one.
– Bangor boys & girls vs Brewer boys & girls on Thursday February 7th…For history buffs this should be the final Class A games at the ole barn on Dutton Street.
– Washburn boys at Central Aroostook on Saturday January 26th…These two teams, along with Jonesport-Beals are among the Class D elite…Just a few miles separate the towns…Want a seat – get there early.
– Central Aroostook boys at Washburn on Tuesday February 5th…Ditto for the re-match 10 nights later.
– Oceanside boys at Medomak Valley on Tuesday February 5th, Oceanside boys at Camden Hills on Thursday February 7th…What a final week in the mid-coast…These teams represent three of the top five spots in Class B at the moment.
– Jonesport-Beals boys at Deer Isle-Stonington on Friday February 8th…Two good Class D teams on the last night of the season…perfect.
ITEMS FROM THE DUFFEL BAG:
– Doesn’t it figure. Most baseball folks think Jacoby Ellsbury won’t re-sign with the Red Sox because his agent is Scott Boras will send him to the highest bidder, no matter what…Sox center fielder heir apparent – Jackie Bradley Jr, guess who his agent is? Yep, Boras.
– Be honest. Raise your hand if you knew a single thing about QB Colin Kaepernick about eight weeks ago. My hand is down.
– Watching Doc Rivers’ kid Austin struggle as a rookie in the NBA makes me think another year at Duke would have been a good thing.
– The Red Sox agreement to partner with the Sea Dogs through at least 2018 should put to rest any thoughts Manchester, N.H., had of becoming the Sox Double A affiliate.
– I toured the new Cross Center Arena the other day…wow!!! Nice digs.
– Bangor’s top hockey line of Sanderson-Tracy-Papsadora is fun to watch.
– OK, Brewer’s Teal Jackson and Bangor’s Grace MacLean set EMITL records in the 400m and 55m hurdles…Can they do that at 6:15am? Saturday’s meet at the UMaine fieldhouse…that’s right, 6:15 a.m.!!!
– Among the four game slate of high school hoops on 92.9 The Ticket this week – that Bangor at Hampden game Friday night.