After watching the Florida Gulf Coast hoops run…and the Shockers from Wichita State shock Gonzaga and Ohio State…and Yale hockey go West and beat both Minnesota and North Dakota to earn a Frozen Four spot…the Easton boys knocking Jonesport-Beals out of the tourney…I think Forrest Gump was right when he quoted his mother, “Sports is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.” (I know, I know, it’s not a direct quote, but you know what I mean.)
I was surprised to find that Tom Hanks’ famous quote was only No. 40 on the American Film Institute’s top-100 list of quotations.
Now you are wondering about the top quotes, right? Well, funny you should ask…
No. 10 Robert DiNero “You talkin’ to me?” Clearly this quote was used many times around the Red Sox clubhouse last year when Bobby V asked players to do something.
No. 9 Bette Davis “Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.” I expect new Sox pitching coach Juan Nieves to mumble this when the call goes to the pen to bring in Alfredo Aceves.
No. 8 Harrison Ford “May the force be with you.” Welcome to the American League West Division, manager Bo Porter and the Houston Astros. You’ll need it.
No. 7 Gloria Swanson “All right, Mr. DeMille. I’m ready for my close- up.” LeBron and his Miami Heat guys were ready to pose as best team ever…and then the Bulls had a little something to say about that winning streak.
No. 6 Clint Eastwood “Go ahead, make my day.” I think I heard Tiger Woods saying that the other day when another reporter (perhaps it was me) doubted he could win one of the majors this year.
No. 5 Humphrey Bogart “Here’s looking at you kid.” All of Red Sox nation is saying this when Jackie Bradley Jr steps to the plate.
No. 4 Judy Garland “Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.” Check out the Wichita State University website. Big and bold, it reads “ Goin’ To Atlanta.”
No. 3 Marlon Brando “I coulda been a contender. I could have been somebody.” Isn’t this what Rex Ryan says after every NY Jets season?
No. 2 Marlon Brando “ I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.” Sources tell me this was what Bob Kraft said to Wes Welker. Then Wes picked up the phone and called Peyton.
No. 1 Clark Gable “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” Bill Belichick is very fond of this one.
ITEMS FROM THE DUFFEL BAG:
– Four games into his AHL career, former Maine Black Bear Joey Diamond has two assists and 13 penalty minutes with coach Scott Pellerin’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
– One of the good things about the Detroit Red Wings playing in the same division as the Bruins next year — we get to see and care much more about how Jimmy Howard and Gustav Nyquist are doing.
– So far Portland’s Ryan Flaherty’s career mirrors Mike Bordick’s career. Now, will he get the chance to prove he’s an everyday player? Remember how Bordy’s career took off when it happened?
– Looking at the new four class high school football system on first glance — Class B East is going to be a beast!
– I wonder if Daniel Bard wishes he hadn’t uttered the line “I want to be a starter”?
– If the Syracuse 2-3 zone defense is so good, why don’t more teams use it?
– Now that the Frozen Four college hockey teams are set — the college hockey world takes almost two weeks off before they play. Please, someone in college hockey fix this. By the way, when the hockey championship is played on April 13, you will hear it on 92.9TheTicket.