So let me get this straight.
John Henry owns the Boston Red Sox. John Henry, as owner of the Sox, also owns an 80 percent piece of NESN TV. And now, John Henry owns the Boston Globe newspaper.
Is this a good thing?
What happens the next time chicken and beer invade the Sox clubhouse and the team turns sour.
Will it be reported?
Sometimes the appearance of conflict of interest is worse than actual conflict of interest.
If John Henry thought it got hot in the sports kitchen before, just wait until the next controversial issue happens around Fenway.
ITEMS FROM THE DUFFEL BAG:
– By the way, the Celtics own part of Comcast New England TV.
– Speaking of the Sox, I sure hope the Yankees don’t get A-Rod suspension money to spend and then go after a guy like Jacoby Ellsbury.
– Lefty Felix Doubront, lefty Drake Britton, lefty Henry Owens (Sea Dogs), lefty Trey Ball (No. 1 pick)…I really wonder if the Sox pick up a $14-million-dollar option on Jon Lester in the off-season…Or, pick up that option and then trade him?
– I heard Bill Parcells say during his NFL Hall of Fame speech that he could not have had the success he had without the support of all the owners at various coaching stops…guess he forgot about not being able to buy his own groceries in Foxborough.
– Is Al Cloutier the Ron St. Pierre of Augusta…or is Ron St. Pierre the Al Cloutier of Bangor? Any way you look at it, baseball in Maine is fortunate to have them around to help get ball fields ready to play on.
– Stress is….two senior league teams playing for the District 3 title and the winner goes directly to the Senior League World Series. Welcome to Tuesday evening at Mansfield Stadium.
– How ‘bout this one…Hockey Canada and Bauer Hockey Inc conducted a survey in Canada and found that 90 percent of Canadian families choose not to have their kids play hockey. The top four reasons given… 1) it wasn’t fun 2) too time consuming 3) safety concerns 4) affordability… Couldn’t we substitute any youth sport in this survey?
– Food for thought from StatsInsights.com…the NBA team that played the most playoff games (99) and won the most playoff games (56) in the last six years? Your Boston Celtics.
– Wonder what really happened between Cody Ross and the Red Sox during off-season contract talks? Sure seems he wanted to prove something as a D-Backs player over the weekend.
– Good luck to Bob Corkum as he coaches Team USA this week in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Hockey Tournament in a place that is a long way from Orono.
– The first Patriots preseason game live on Sportsradio 92.9The Ticket is coming Friday