– As the Senior League World Series baseball tournament unfolds this week at Mansfield Stadium try out this stat – MLB plays about 2,600 games in the six months of the regular season…there have been 14,000 Senior League tournament games played around the world in the past 40 days.
– Something tells me the Red Sox should use Jon Lester’s money (about $14-million if the pick up his option) and sign Jacoby Ellsbury long term (how about $14-million times 6 years for $84-million).
– A nice, solid start for the new Gil Santos, Bob Socci, the new radio voice of the New England Patriots as he called Friday’s preseason game vs Philly.
– On one hand it has been great to see the endless stream of talent that has passed through Hadlock Field and the Portland Sea Dogs this summer. On the other hand, I kind of feel sorry for the team as the talent is promoted the wins are harder to come by…Xander Bogaerts, Brandon Workman, Drake Britton, Anthony Ranaudo, Brandon Jacobs.
– If you are sitting in Fenway Park Friday night when the Yankees show up, do you boo A-Rod or give him a mock cheer because he’s got no game?
– LA Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen: 17 saves, 2.01 ERA, 84 K’s, 0.84 WHIP. Not bad for the former starting catcher for Curacao in the 2003 SLWS. Jansen went 3 for 15 with 3 RBI at Mansfield Stadium.
– It is interesting that George Gzowdecky, who was fired as Denver U hockey coach, has landed as an NHL assistant coach with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Seemed like his name came up with every college job – Maine, UConn, Alabama-Huntsville.
– Ready for more sports? Saturday is the launch of Fox Sports 1 TV network. 90-million homes. Competition for ESPN? We’ll see.
– Do we really need SIX outdoor NHL games? It’s gonna happen. At Michigan Stadium (New Year’s Day), at Dodger Stadium (night before the Grammys), two games at Yankee Stadium (just before the Super Bowl to be played in NY), Soldier Field in Chicago and BC Place in Vancouver (both games just after the Olympics).
– Wonder which game will be of more interest in Beantown…The return of Paul Pierce and KG/Brooklyn on Jan 26th or the return of Doc Rivers and the LA Clippers Dec. 11th?
– I’m looking at the teams in the new Class B East high school football (Brewer, Brunswick, Cony, Gardiner, Hampden, Lawrence, Messalonskee, Mt.Blue, Skowhegan)… That is going to be one tough division!
– Mike Napoli. 152 strikeouts and counting…too many, just too many.
– Bob Corkum’s USA Under-18 Select team had to settle for a silver medal after losing to Canada 4-0 in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup. I don’t think Corkum’s coaching days are done yet.
– I’m making plans for some October Red Sox baseball…how ‘bout you?
– I’m looking forward to broadcasting play-by-play coverage all week of the SLWS on Sportsradio 92.9 The Ticket.