A few sports thoughts to keep my mind off the Red Sox as they close in on a divisional title and some October baseball….
– Hmmm…wonder who will get the game one start in the ALDS? (OK, I admit it’s tough not to think about what the Sox are doing).
– Did you see how deep that water was on the sideline of the MCI vs Stearns game on cable TV the other night?
– You have to admit – that Johnny Manziel is fun to watch. Would you pay for his autograph?
– It’s about time the Red Sox honor Yaz with a statue outside Fenway! Come on, man!! What took so long!
– The first of the college hockey polls, the College Hockey News preseason poll has UMass-Lowell No. 1 in the country. BC No. 4, new Hockey East team Notre Dame No. 7 and Nate Leeman’s Providence team No. 9 (soph goalie, South Portland’s Jon Gillies).
– According to Elias Sports Bureau, the 63 TD passes in week one of the NFL was the most ever in any week…with the clock running on Tom Brady, can someone please tell me why the Patriots chose not to get him more help in the pass-crazy NFL?
– Bad news, good news… Bad – the Pawtucket Red Sox Triple-A team lost to Tampa Bay’s team (Durham) in the International League championship. Good – look at this Pawsox lineup, Henry-Diaz-Hassan-Hamilton-Butler-Thomas-Hazelbaker-Wilkerson-Meneses. I don’t think many of these guys are part of the future at Fenway.
– Wouldn’t it be something if UMaine vs UNH football on November 23rd was for the CAA title? Who knows, could happen!
– OK, Mt Blue football…you’ve got my attention!
– Please John Farrell – make sure David Ross catches Jon Lester in the playoffs. There is a huge difference in Lester when Salty catches him.
– I tip my cap to Aroostook County teams that take 20-something-day breaks on the schedule because of potato harvest.
– I hear some people saying how awful it is to show the Little League World Series from Williamsport…yet the TV ratings were up another 12 percent this year. In fact, according to Forbes magazine, ESPN and LL have agreed to a new 8-year $60-million-dollar deal that doubles the amount of TV money from the previous deal.
– I don’t want to hear it Yankee fans. Yes, you have had injuries and have used 55 players. Guess what – the Sox have used 48 players this year.
– The Boston Bruins play their NHL season opener on October 4th. The next night the Red Sox play their first playoff game.
– Added Red Sox games, high school football and Husson football on the schedule this week on Sports Radio 92.9 The Ticket.