In honor of Columbus Day here are a few items I’ve discovered recently around the sports world…
– I know many umpires and officials. They are decent, hard working and fair. But, I have discovered that MLB umpire Joe West is one guy that needs to call it a day. Not because of balls and strike calls. It is apparent that he has a dislike for the guys who are the stars of the game – the players! Remember, this is a guy who was quoted a couple of years ago saying the Sox and Yankees take too long to play their games. There is a difference between controlling a game and seemingly having a contempt for the game.
– I have discovered (maybe re-discovered) that Bucksport’s DB/K/ATH Josh Gray is Darren Sproles.
– I have discovered that if Detroit Red Wings players Jordin Tootoo and Tomas Tatar combined to score a goal that would be one heck of a play-by-play call. Tootoo to Tatar…SCORE!!!!
– I can see this UMaine football team going 9-3, maybe 10-2.
– I can already tell this is going to be one interesting Sox off-season. Ellsbury? Shortstop? Salty? Give some young pitchers a chance? Re-sign Napoli? Third base?
– I have discovered that just like any other new coach coming in – it is going to take some time for Red Gendron to make the Maine hockey team what he wants it to be.
– I find myself rooting for Bill O’Brien and the Penn State football team and I don’t really know why.
– I have discovered that ESPN’s college football guy Lee Corso is fun to watch and has a love for the game but he’s not overbearing like Dicky V is with college hoops.
– I don’t care what level of a sport it is – if you win 54 consecutive times it is impressive. That is what the Bangor Christian boys soccer team has done.
– I have also discovered that sports can present interesting storylines. For instance – Bangor football has struggled for years to win games in Fairfield on Friday nights against Lawrence. Then a former Bangor player and now Westbrook coach Jeff Guerette goes to Fairfield and his Blue Blazes hand the Bulldogs their first regular season home loss since 2005.
– Will Middlebrooks is on thin ice with me.
– I have discovered that Reilly Smith just might be the sleeper in the Tyler Seguin-Loui Eriksson trade between the B’s and Dallas.
– When it comes time to hand out the sports person of the year in Maine award we should not forget the golf season of Ricky Jones…Bunyan title, Maine Amateur champ, played in national publinx tourney, Mid-Amateur champ, state Match Play tourney quarter-finalist.