With one championship weekend to go in the 2013 high school fall sports season, here are some thoughts and storylines I’ll remember…
– I’m still trying to wrap my head around the Skowhegan field hockey legacy…12 state titles in the last 13 years…76 straight wins…13 consecutive Eastern Maine titles…16 of the last 17 years winning the East…10 shutouts in state championship games…take your pick!
– The versatility of one Josh Gray of Bucksport football.
– Mackenzie Worcester of Washburn scored 50 goals this fall, giving her 111 with a senior year to go. Think about this – she only needs to score 67 next fall to tie Shelby Pickering (Lee Academy) for the schoolgirl record.
– The new 4-class system in football ended up giving Eastern Maine title games some terrific rivalry games – Bucksport/MA, Winslow/Waterville, Cheverus/Portland.
– High school golf…every fall I am more impressed with how many good, young players compete. I just don’t remember that back in my day.
– I visited the new football field in Houlton. I’m going to try to be there when my old hometown plays its first varsity game.
– Way down there in W.A. the football is getting better and better.
– Wonder who puts more miles on the football bus – Washington Academy or Bangor? Think about that one.
– Madawaska’s Ian Lee. 127 goals in soccer for a career shows you’ve been a pretty good player over four years.
– The night Hampden played Skowhegan and the football was in the air 50 times. Now that’s my kind of football!
– The LTC is going to name the yearly MVP award the “Art Greenlaw Award” after the longtime Stearns coach. Nice.
– I join others in believing penalty kicks is no way to decide a state title soccer game…but I don’t have a better answer either.
– Bangor Christian soccer setting schoolboy history with its successful “drive for five.”
– I really wonder why more schools do not offer volleyball. I know budgets are tight but it seems like kids have so much fun playing it.
– I am becoming a big fan of Saturday afternoon football.
– Talk about a quick turnaround…winter high school sports teams start this week!
– Looking forward to broadcasting a state title football game from Alfond Stadium Friday night (Cony vs Kennebunk) on Sports Radio 92.9 The Ticket as well as Bucksport’s title game Saturday in Portland.