On this Thanksgiving holiday week here are some of the sports people, places and things I am thankful for in 2013…
– I am thankful that I was at the Bangor Auditorium the night they played the last high school basketball tournament game.
– I am thankful there were no major injuries when that bus carrying the UMaine women’s basketball team took that horrific turn left on I-95 on that night in Massachusetts.
– I am thankful someone in the NBA gave Mainers Steve Clifford and Brett Brown a chance.
– I am thankful the St. Louis Cardinals kept pitching to Big Papi. (Until it was too late)
– I am thankful I watched Phil Mickelson do what he did at the British Open.
– I am thankful I got the chance to interview and know coaches such as Bob Brown, Jack Parker, Tony Hamlin, Mike McGee and others who retired.
– I am thankful things seemed to have worked out for the both Red Gendron and Tim Whitehead.
– I am thankful I watched that Doc Rivers/KG hug on the parquet of Boston Garden.
– I am thankful there are streaks to follow, such as Bangor Christian soccer and Skowhegan field hockey.
– I am thankful to all who get out there and volunteer with sports organizations and events.
– I am thankful Rene Rancourt stopped singing the national anthem as 18,000 others at Boston Garden picked up the singing before that Bruins game shortly after the Boston Marathon bombings.
– I am thankful former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez is under lock and key. I’m not saying he guilty until something is proven. But he is guilty of something.
– I am thankful Bill Russell and Yaz finally got a statue.
– I am thankful for John Tortorella post game press conferences.
– I am thankful I do not have to cover Bill Belichick post game press conferences.
– I am thankful A-Rod keeps moving his lips.
– I am thankful Matt Mulligan got another chance.
– I am thankful for one heckuva football season that is still going on.
– I am thankful Patrice Bergeron wears the spoked-B.
– I am thankful in my business there is always the next player, team and season to cover!