Cleaning out the sports thoughts of ’13 and looking forward to the new sports year…
– So…as we prepare for the Sochi Winter Olympic Games in February, is it So-shee or So-chee?
– I want the Sox to get Tanaka…I don’t want the Sox to get Tanaka…I want the Sox to get Tanaka…I don’t want the Sox to get Tanaka…
– I can’t wait to hear what the Cross Center is going sound like when some of those great high school bands show up at Tourney Week!
– Celtics guard Jordan Crawford is one interesting player.
– When I heard the news on Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg’s knee injury, I immediately thought ‘sure would be great if Andrew Ference was still around.’
– Gustav Nyquist missed a chance to play outdoors at Fenway Park as a college player. On Wednesday he will get his chance to play outside — at the “Big House” in Michigan, in front of 110,000 fans when the Red Wings play Toronto. Will Jimmy Howard be healthy enough to play in goal?
– Jackie Bradley Jr in CF, Xander Bogaerts at SS and Will Middlebrooks at 3B? If that is what the Sox end up with, what are the chances they all have breakout years? I’m thinking slim…which is why the Sox have another move to make.
– MLB Hall of Fame voting is announced next Wednesday (January 8th). Wonder if Clemens gets in? He would have my vote, if I had one.
– I just closed my eyes and saw how green that grass is at Mansfield Stadium just days before the World Series…try it sometime before you head outside to shovel snow again.
– Not sure if this new “Look-Up Line” is going to work or not…but it’s worth a try. Look for it at Frozen Fenway games.
– Notice how many awful NBA teams around right now?
– Former UMaine goalie Ben Bishop…20-5-3 with a 1.89GAA and .935% for the Tampa Bay Lightning…doesn’t he have to be on the USA Olympic roster? We find out Wednesday.
– I’m ready for some NFL playoff action…and just about Bowl-ed out!
– The Presque Isle girls basketball team has a nice 52-game win streak going. I was curious about the national record — a school from Louisiana called Baskin won 218 in a row back in the late 1940’s — early ‘50’s, according to the National Federation of State High School Associations.
– In the week ahead, finishing ’13 and kicking off ’14, Sports Radio 92.9 The Ticket will broadcast a half dozen high school games…Happy New Year!