Ten storylines in Eastern Maine high school hoops as we head into the final week of regular season play…
– Who will end up as the Nos. 2, 3, 6 and 7 teams in Class A boys. If you are going to play Hampden, you would prefer to play them in a regional final. (remember Lawrence last year?)
– What time will the doors get locked on Thursday night in Easton? A guaranteed sellout when the No. 1 Washburn Beavers(14-2) come to play the No. 2 Beavers (16-0). Easton won the first time they played back in late December.
– It sure looks like the Presque Isle girls will be riding a 62-game win streak to the Cross Center. They have had two great regular season battles with MDI…but what about Nokomis and Winslow from the KVAC?
– The Jonesport-Beals boys are less than one Heal point out of the 16th place and final playoff spot in Class D and Easton starts the week No. 2…all 16 teams compete in a play-in game to get to the quarterfinals….So…. Could J-B end up No. 16 playing at No. 1 Easton? Remember the quarterfinal last Year? (Easton upset J-B.)
– In Class C girls, Orono sits No. 1, Calais No. 2 and Narraguagus No. 3. The Blue Devils and Knights meet one more time. Can Calais leapfrog Orono for No. 1 with a win?
– The KVAC vs Big East in Class B boys. There will be 6 teams from the KVAC and 7 from the Big East making the playoffs. It will be fun to see how many cross conference matchups happen in the first round. The possibilities are endless with a week to go.
– Is it really possible that no girls team north of Fairfield make the tournament field in Class A?
– The final week begins with Van Buren girls No. 1 in Class D and Schenck No. 2. Do you think a Eastern Maine final featuring Matt Rossignol’s daughter (Parise) vs. Stephanie Carter Thompson’s daughter (Morgan) would draw a crowd?
– Last game rivalries galore! Bangor vs Brewer…Calais vs Woodland…Orono vs Bucksport…Washburn vs Easton…Messalonskee vs Lawrence…MDI vs Ellsworth…Presque Isle vs Caribou…
– I wonder which team will end up No. 3 in boys Class B? That team is guaranteed to be in the first tournament game at the Cross Center Friday February 14th at 5 p.m. and thus have a chance to score the first point…Before the season, I picked Caribou and Dayne Savage in this blog – the Vikings begin the week four points out of No. 3!
Listen in Wednesday morning at 7:35 a.m. when BDN sports reporter Ernie Clark joins me as we talk high school hoops on Sports Radio 92.9 The Ticket!