As we get ready to usher in a new era of the high school basketball tournament at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor Friday evening, it is important to note a couple of things…
First, the Cross Center is not the Auditorium and the Auditorium is not the Cross Center.
Secondly, it is the the players, coaches and moments that create the history we all love to talk about.
So we should remember…
– 5 years ago (2009): That terrific run of the Waterville girls and their 60-plus game win streak.
– 10 years ago (2004): The Ralph Mims show-could that Brunswick Dragon play or what! How about that Calvary Chapel team and the three point show.
– 15 years ago (1999): Remember these names…Heather Ernest (Mt.Blue), Brianna Blanchard (PI), Lora Trenkle (GSA), Ashley Marble (Woodland), Tricia Carver (J-B)
– 20 years ago (1994): Cindy Blodgett scores a record 47 in the Eastern final. Andy Bedard scores a record 53 at the State final.
– 25 years ago (1989): The Schenck girls complete that three year run of state titles behind the sensational Stephanie Carter.
– 30 years ago (1984): The Houlton girls with Zach Gilpin’s mom (Carol Bubar) beating Victoria Watras’ MDI Trojans 38-37 for the East title.
– 35 years ago (1979): Westbrook’s Lisa Blais. Big Keith Odgen and those Bucksport Golden Bucks.
– 40 years ago (1974): Ordie Alley and his Jonesport-Beals boys won their 5th straight state title. The year also marked the last time there was no girls tournament.
– 45 years ago (1969): The Mike Thurston shot and Bill Burney’s 53 points.
– 50 years ago (1964): George Wentworth and those undefeated Stearns Minutemen. And, how about the Class S (now Class D) schools that made up the tourney field No. 1 Easton, No. 2 Stonington, No. 3 Solon, No. 4 Mattawamkeag, No. 5 Beals, No. 6 Anson, No. 7 Island Falls, No. 8 Monson.
See you at the new place in the coming days…I wonder which teams, players and moments will be talked about in 50 years?
Join veteran sports reporter Ernie Clark of the BDN as we talk tourney storylines Wednesday morning at 7:35 a.m. on Sports Radio 92.9 The Ticket.