Cleaning out the sports mind before mud season starts…
– Wonder how much the tax bill would have been had I won Buffett’s billion dollar bracket contest?
– I’m not sure I’ve seen a 21-year-old baseball player so calm, cool and collected on the field like Xander Bogaerts.
– Why can’t Maine’s Steve Clifford win NBA coach of the year? He has taken a team that was 40 games under .500 last year (21-61)and have them over .500 now (39-38) and headed to the playoffs…who else has shown such a dramatic improvement?
– Notice NESN only shows the score box in the upper left of the TV picture on one camera shot – from behind the pitcher. I hate that.
– I can’t wait to see Augusta National and the Masters this week. Did you know Masters folks make their broadcast partners use the word “patrons” to describe the spectators? Not fans…not crowd…patrons.
– If the weather doesn’t melt the snow soon, the two most popular spots for area high school baseball teams — Winkin Complex and Mahaney Diamond.
– How about a NHL first-round playoff matchup of Tampa Bay vs Detroit. Ben Bishop vs Jimmy Howard in a battle of Black Bear goalies past.
– I want to see Henry Owens, Blake Swihart, Mookie Betts and Deven Marrero play at Hadlock in person before they move on.
– You missing Tyler Seguin these days? Not me.
– Celtics coach Brad Stevens looks completely worn out, doesn’t he?
– A one-week report card on the 2014 Red Sox…they look tired and distracted only because I think they are tired and distracted…A.J. Pierzynski looks old and slow…I know Victorino is out, but they do not have nearly enough outfield depth…Bullpen looks like a strength and more help is coming with Breslow…Big Papi looks like he is big-timing it and playing like a celeb…Lester looks like he wants to prove something…Ellsbury is hitting .333 and Salty is hitting .318, I think we will miss them more than I thought…They look like a team trying to mix young and old which is exactly what GM Ben Cherrington wants to do…Hello Stephen Drew- sign him to play shortstop, move Bogaerts to third base and you’ve improved two spots…Never thought I would say this – they need a few more guys playing with John Lackey attitude!