Ushering in June with some summer sports thoughts…
– Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon has become the most smug man in baseball. I believe he is orchestrating everything from the Rays side of this Red Sox vs TB thing. Suppose he just can’t get over the Sox picking Terry Francona instead of him as manager back then? By the way, how many titles has he won?
– Parity in college baseball? The big brand names eliminated early in the regionals – Florida, Florida State, Clemson, Arizona St.
– By the way, Baseball America predicts Hartford Hawks lefty pitcher Sean Newcomb now going #6 overall, picked by the Seattle Mariners.
– The same publication has the Red Sox with their #26 pick taking a California prep RHP Luis Ortiz.
– The MLB draft starts Thursday – wonder if any Maine players get picked?
– Wish I had known ahead of time that T-Wolves Kevin Love was going to be in Boston over the weekend…I would have picked up a meal tab! Whatever it takes to get him in a Celtics uniform.
– Want one group to follow Friday at PVCC in round one of the Paul Bunyan Golf Tournament? 7:30 a.m. group – Ricky Jones, Casey Catell, Len Cole. Jones has won the Bunyan 5 times, Catell won in 2012, Cole is always in the mix.
– Hey, anyone want to keep the Bruins vs Canadiens war going? P.K. Subban is a restricted free agent this summer…how about the B’s make a contract offer that Montreal simply cannot match.
– When I think about California Chrome and a possible Triple Crown this week, I think about Secretariat (1973) and jockey Ron Turcotte, just across the Aroostook County border in Grand Falls, New Brunswick.
– Marv Albert says he will not do play-by-play for NFL games, says he wants to cut back some. Hard to believe he is 72.
– Interesting to note – while it has been a funky season for the Red Sox so far, the other world series team from last year, the St. Louis Cards are just 3 games over .500 right now.
– NBA Finals start Thursday night on Sports Radio 92.9 The Ticket. Go Spurs!