Sports thoughts heading into July 4th week…
– Trade Jon Lester…keep Jon Lester…trade Jon Lester…keep Jon Lester…back and forth I go!
– Trade Rajon Rondo…keep Rajon Rondo…trade Rajon Rondo…keep Rajon Rondo…another back and forth I go!
– As I write this, the Portland Sea Dogs are 53-27. The most wins in baseball. Period. How ‘bout that!
– Talk about time flying by… when they play the Shriners Lobster Bowl All Star football game July 19th it will be the 25th game! Hello Steve Knight (Marshwood HS), Bill Dolley (Messalonskee HS), Jon Christopher (Madison HS) and others who played in that first one in 1990!
– Anybody know the latest Danny Ainge plan for the Celtics? Let me know.
– I have a funny feeling Jerome Iginla will not be wearing a Boston Bruins uniform this year…and that will be a big loss. According to capgeek.com the B’s are a million bucks or so over the salary cap. By the way, the Montreal Canadiens are $3-million over the cap and still have to sign P.K. Subban.
– So apparently Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen Brady will present the World Cup to the winning team on July 13th. Now that’s brilliant marketing move!
– I noticed the Chicago Bears just signed another tight end – Jeron Mastrud (started 12 games with Oakland last year). For those counting, that’s 5 tight ends on their roster, including Maine’s Matt Mulligan. This NFL thing is a tough business, huh.
– MLB Draft follow-up…before the Angels took University of Hartford (America East) lefty Sean Newcomb No. 15 overall, the Brewers took lefty pitcher Kodi Medeiros from Hilo, Hawaii. Medeiros was one of the stars of the 2011 Senior League World Series in Bangor when his Hawaii team won the world championship. Medeiros pitched four innings that week, getting a win and a save. He hit .579 with 9 RBI…Today, he’s got a $2.5-million-dollar signing bonus.
– By the way, the road to Bangor and the 2014 Senior League World Series begins today in Clark, Philippines. The Asia-Pacific regional begins. The tourney winner comes to Mansfield Stadium on August 10.
– Should be a great summer for baseball in Bangor. The state American Legion Tournament will be at Winkin Complex at Husson University starting July 30.
– The state of Maine – about 35,000 square miles. The country of Belgium – about 11,000 square miles. Surely the U.S. team can win Tuesday, right? USA vs Belgium World Cup Soccer is live on Sports Radio 92.9 The Ticket.