I know a lot of you are spending time boning up on MLB obstruction rule Section 2.00 and trying to figure out which Patriots team will show up from half to half. But, I’ve got a couple of questions for you.
Do you think Vitor Faverani can be a double-double guy in the middle?
Do you think MarShon Brooks can play a lick of defense?
I know, I know, you’re thinking ‘what the hell is he talking about…who are those guys.’
Ladies and gentlemen, meet two of your 2013-14 Boston Celtics.
Oh, by the way, just in case you haven’t heard, the Celtics start their NBA season this week.
The C’s have become the Rodney Dangerfield of the Boston sports scene.
And perhaps it is the best thing for the proud franchise.
All of our attention is on October baseball and the Pats-still-winning-despite-the-injuries story and the Bruins solid start (except for the egg on Saturday night against NJ).
The Celtics have no Doc, no KG, no Paul Pierce and no chance to win a championship.
So sports fans in New England will let coach Brad Stevens and company play in obscurity. Do what you can boys. Don’t win too much if you want one of those high draft picks next year.
For the record – I hate it.
I hate every move the Celtics made in the off-season. Paul Pierce should finished his career in a green uniform. I wanted another year of KG energy. I loved Doc’s honest post-game press conferences. They should have been able to work it all out.
But they didn’t.
Now it’s Faverani (a 7-footer from Brazil) and Brooks and Gerald Wallace, Keith Bogans, Phil Pressey – stop me if you’ve heard enough no-names.
The team that brought you Cousy, Havlicek, Russell, Bird et al is in rebuild mode.
So…how ‘bout that obstruction rule…how ‘bout those Pats!
ITEMS FROM THE DUFFEL BAG:
– I think Maine football is going to go 11-1, with that only loss to FBS Northwestern. That is one heck of a season.
– That was some kind of final two weeks of play in LTC football, huh!
– Peavey for Iglesias…on second thought…
– I sure hope B’s Loui Eriksson is OK after suffering a concussion from the illegal hit from that goon in Buffalo. Eriksson is a nice player that fits with the Bruins.
– By the way, former UMaine player Dustin Penner suffered a similar injury from a similar hit in a game out in the NHL West.
– The World Series and high school playoff games fill the Sports Radio 92.9 airwaves in the upcoming week.