Some longer sports thoughts as the daylight hours grow shorter…
– It seems to me that in recent years the most parity in high school East vs. West championship day comes in the sport of soccer. For instance, on Saturday there were eight title games separated by a total of 11 goals.
– Washburn’s Carsyn Koch: a state title in soccer, a state title in cross country…any of us accomplished as much in the past two weeks? Not me.
– A half a dozen games into the NBA season it is clear to see that young Brad Stevens can coach. While I don’t agree with what Danny Ainge did with most of his off-season moves, I do appreciate the boldness of hiring Stevens to be the next Doc Rivers of this franchise.
– Someone is going to have to update the NFHS (National Federation of State High School Associations) record book. Bangor Christian’s win streak stands at 60 which puts the Patriots 5th in the nation on the all-time consecutive wins list (74 wins is the record). They do have a little work to do on the national record for most state titles — Patriots have 5 straight. A school in South Carolina owns the record with 11 in a row.
– Red Sox coach Brian Butterfield says Xander Bogaerts is capable of being an everyday shortstop in the bigs…that’s good enough for me.
– Too bad if Salty leaves the Sox…I was just getting down how to spell his name correctly.
– How ‘bout Saturday night at the Joe (Joe Louis Arena in Detroit). Tampa Bay’s Teddy Purcell scored an OT goal against goalie Jimmy Howard to give goalie Ben Bishop the win…fill the steins to dear old Maine…
– Jerome Iginla, Loui Eriksson and Reilly Smith make the Boston Bruins a deeper and better playoff team than last year when they had Tyler Seguin and Nathan Horton. My biggest worry is how many B’s make Olympic squads and how much energy/emotion will it take out of some players.
– By the way, the two other players acquired by the Bruins in the Seguin trade – (D) Joe Morrow and (LW )Matt Fraser are playing for the Providence Bruins. In their first 12 games with the Baby B’s Fraser leads the team with 10 goals and Morrow is the top point man among defensemen with 8 points.
– Hey Portland Sea Dogs officials…take a bow. You are a huge part of the Red Sox player development.
– Speaking of taking a bow…UMaine freshman Christophe Mulumba with 19 tackles in Albany. Take a bow!
– I’ll say it again…watching high school state title events on the turf in places like Bath, Hampden, etc…it seems to me Bangor needs to pony up and get turf at Cameron Stadium. The Queen City is missing out on a economic spinoff with these events, plus a lot of good PR.