I’m feeling nostalgic this week. 2013 has been such a great sports year with all the storylines around Maine plus all that has happened surrounding those Boston teams we like to follow.
Some moments I’ll remember…
– Walking out of the Bangor Auditorium that Saturday night after Penquis Valley HS won the Class C basketball title knowing I would never broadcast another game from the ole barn.
– Walking into the Cross Center earlier this month to broadcast the first high school game there. It felt weird.
– Watching Gregory Campbell of the Boston Bruins help kill that penalty during the playoffs with, what turned out to be, a broken leg. Talk about guts.
– Watching Hamdpen’s Nick Gilpin bank that shot in to win the Eastern A title…and watching how classy Lawrence coach Mike McGee was as his coaching career ended just like that. Seems like a coach should get a mulligan — maybe one more game to coach after something like that happens?
– A defiant Tim Whitehead who was told he wasn’t wanted but made sure he left with his head held high…and a proud Red Gendron stepping to the podium, seemingly having come full circle as a hockey coach.
– The pit in my stomach watching Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett sit in front of that Brooklyn Nets sign during that press conference after the trade. Their words didn’t match the look in their eyes.
– The horrifying sound of that police officer describing what happened that night in Massachusetts when the UM women’s team bus suddenly broke left.
– Watching Ricky Jones win golf tournaments and wondering what it must be like to play that good.
– Hearing the voices of our local runners who ran the Boston Marathon and got out of town just in time.
– Watching that Tom Brady-like last minute drive by Cony’s Ben Lucas to win the state football title.
– The pure joy on the faces of UMaine football players and coaches holding up that CAA trophy. Take that Virginia schools!
– The energy of the Washburn girls basketball team running up and down the Auditorium floor. They just never get tired.
– The intensity of the District 3 Senior League championship baseball game, this year between Bangor and Hampden…both knowing the next game for the winner will be a World Series game.
– All those tugs on the beards by Red Sox players.
– The look on the face of Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez as he was cuffed and taken from his house.
– The smiles on the faces of everyone around The Mystic Tie Grange and the Kenduskeag bridge on the third Saturday of April as canoe race day begins.
– Watching Phil Mickleson play that shot at the British Open.
– Listening to Patrice Bergeron admit to the injuries he really had when the Bruins were finally eliminated by the Blackhawks…shoulder,ribs, lung, and…what a warrior.
– What a year! Many of these moments and more in a special Year In Review show Wednesday morning on Sports Radio 92.9 The Ticket, if you need a little background entertainment while opening gifts. Merry Christmas everyone!