So the high school hoops Heal Points are official and the tourney games begin. There are 50 boys and 50 girls teams taking part in the North postseason so I tried a little exercise.
One by one, I looked at every boys playoff team and quickly wrote down the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the name…
Class AA Boys
- Portland – Not really north.
- Deering – I always think it’s a private school but I know it’s not.
- Oxford Hills – Gritty in all sports.
- Edward Little – The Ghost of Edward Little
- Cheverus – Great view of the water standing on that bank of the football field.
- Bangor – Long bus rides playing all these teams above.
Class A Boys
- Hampden – What a run.
- Brewer – Dennis Kiah “fire up”.
- Medomak Valley – Never gets enough press attention.
- Messalonskee – Man, it seems that school has grown in a hurry.
- Oceanside – A perfect name for a school in Maine.
- Lawrence – Gus Folsom…Cindy Blodgett.
- Gardiner – Coach Mike Gray is one tall dude.
- Skowhegan – Field hockey.
- Waterville – Purple Reigns.
- Cony – Bill Burney’s 1969 night at the Bangor Auditorium.
Class B Boys
- Old Town – Perhaps the best sounding band these days.
- Ellsworth – Tim Scott ‘miracle minute’.
- Washington Academy – Runnin’.
- Orono – I know it’s Red Riots but I think Black Bears.
- MDI – The song ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’.
- Caribou – The Mike Thurston shot.
- Winslow – Football.
- Belfast – That sign on the bridge ‘Passagassawakeag River’ and how many times I’ve blown that pronunciation.
- Central – I was slow remembering the change from East Corinth to just Corinth.
- MCI – Pittsfield. Cianbro.
- Foxcroft – Dean Smith Award.
- Hermon – The old high school gym…you should have seen it.
Class C Boys
- George Stevens Academy – Beautiful Blue Hill.
- Ft. Fairfield – Potato Blossom Parade
- Bucksport – Mill town. No more.
- Lee Academy – Randy Harris.
- Schenck – Fans wearing green…lots of green.
- Dexter – The five overtime night.
- Hodgdon – So how many Duffs come from there?
- Ft. Kent – Weather is always so different from the rest of the state.
- Sumner – Home of the Tigers.
- Narraguagus – Blueberries.
- P.C.H.S. – How long it takes to say the full name in the middle of a play-by-play call.
- Penobscot Valley – Football hotbed for Matt Mulligan.
Class D Boys
- Easton – That gym.
- Machias – Orange.
- Southern Aroostook – How the winter wind can blow on that hill where the school is located .
- Washburn – Five peat.
- Bangor Christian – Smack dab in the middle between Aroostook County and Washington County D teams.
- Central Aroostook – Al’s Diner.
- Shead – Sunrise and salmon.
- Wisdom – It’s Saint-Agat…not Saint Agatha.
- Van Buren – Rossignol.
- Deer Isle-Stonington – That bridge.